Welcome to the 131st episode of Urbcast, in which we talk about: Happy Cities: how can urban design boost our wellbeing? 🧐
Why should we talk about it?
Urban design significantly impacts our wellbeing and quality of life, and Happy Cities leads the way in creating healthier, happier, and more inclusive communities around the world. Join us Wednesday to hear about transforming car-dependent communities into walkable ones.
Tristan Cleveland is an urban planner and researcher with Happy City, a consultancy that uses the science of wellbeing to create healthier, happier and more inclusive communities. Tristan is also a PhD candidate at Dalhousie University’s Healthy Populations Institute, focusing on how to redesign suburbs to support an active, healthy lifestyle.
Tristan share Happy Cities’ innovative urban design solutions that improve people’s wellbeing in numerous cities. We talk about their evidence-based research that also incorporates community’s perspectives.
Some of the topics we touched upon:
- Happy Cities: from a book to action
- How does Happy Cities balance *research* and *community* perspectives?
- Cultivation Methodology*: transforming car-dependent areas to walkable communities?
- What are the *biggest obstacles* for happier cities, and how can we overcome them?
- Happy Cityby Charles Montgomery
- Tactical Urbanism: Short-term Action for Long-term Change by Mike Lydon and Anthony Garcia
- In Confessions of a Recovering Engineer: Transportation for a Strong Town by Charles Marohn
You get to know more about the guest:
- Happy Cities:https://happycities.com/
- Katarzyna Niemier:https://www.linkedin.com/in/katarzyna-niemier/
You can listen to the episode at: urbcast.pl/en
You will find more useful links at: https://linktr.ee/urbcast
Message and a homework to you, dear listeners:
Think about how can we design cities that prioritize the happiness and well-being of its inhabitants? How can we ensure that urban planning and development is done with the user in mind? What are some key principles or values that you believe should guide the creation of a happy city?