Welcome to the 91st episode of Urbcast, in which we will talk about: What is the defense of the big, dense city?
Why should we talk about it?
Because we face various challenges in our cities, and a big and dense city can be an answer to those. Is that though a recipe for every city? Let’s have a closer look at what are the pros and cons of dense, high and a common city like Copenhagen.
Why is it worth listening to?
Because Simon has a wide experience, observing density in various cities like London, New York or Copenhagen. In the talk, he shares the assumptions from his book, which defends the big cities, as the most efficient ones. As the book is available only in Danish, you can listen about it here.
About the guest:
Simon Kjær Hansen – is the Director of the Crown Princess Mary Center—solving problems through research and partnerships and the author of the book: Et forsvar for storbyen, which we talk about today
The topics we discussed:
- Story and motivation behind the Et forsvar for storbyen book
- How does the C40 Cities network operate and how can cities learn from it?
- Why should we live dense, high and together in our cities?
- What could other cities learn from Copenhagen?
- What is the limit of our growth and our density as well?
- Can we live too close and can it result in Not In My Backyard approach?
You get to know more about Simon:
- book: https://gad.dk/et-forsvar-for-storbyen
You can listen to the episode at: urbcast.pl/en/episode91
You will find more information at: https://linktr.ee/urbcast or urbcast.pl/en